It is very difficult to understand the symptoms of STD (sexually transmitted diseases) as they are subtle or not obvious in certain cases. STDs are infections which are transmitted either through sexual intercourse or through contact with the objects used by the person with an STD such as towels, syringe, toilet seats, razors, etc. Genital warts, genital herpes, HIV, hepatitis, Chlamydia, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, and Trichomoniasis are the major sexually transmitted diseases. This group of diseases was earlier known as venereal diseases or VD.
Risks of the Disease
This disease causes many health risks.
- Some of the STDs such as HIV and hepatitis can be deadly and some other STDs require lifelong treatments.
- Some may develop milder forms of STDs and which when untreated can lead to severe form STD like HIV.
- If you ignore the symptoms of STD it can damage the reproductive organs affecting the fertility and can cause damage to vision, heart and other organs.
- STD infections are passed to the unborn child from the pregnant mother and may cause permanent harm or death of the child.
These symptoms are not always visible (asymptomatic) and this makes it difficult for people to understand that they are suffering from this contagious disease. Hence it is necessary to use condoms or any other protection methods during sex.
Symptoms of STD Chlamydia
Infections in the early stage are usually without any symptoms. Symptoms occur only 1 to 3 weeks after exposure to the bacteria. The signs and symptoms include
- Pain during urination
- Pain in lower abdomen
- Vaginal discharges and irritation
- Discharges and irritation inside penis
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Pain in testicles
Symptoms of STD Syphilis
Syphilis is an STD that affects not only the genital organs, but the skin, mucous membranes, heart and brain. Depending on the stage of the infection the symptoms of STD syphilis may vary. Some of the primary symptoms of syphilis that are visible within 10 days to three months after exposure to bacteria include
- Appearance of painless sore on the body where the exposure occurred. Usually a sore appears on the genitals, anus, lips or tongue
- Enlargement of lymph nodes
The symptoms of secondary infection include
- Reddish-brown Rashes on body, including the inner side of palm and soles
- Fatigue feeling and discomfort
If untreated symptoms of STD syphilis may reach the tertiary stage. The signs and symptoms of tertiary stage are:
- Infection and inflammation of membranes protecting brain or meningitis.
- Visual problems, paralysis, poor coordination of muscles or deafness
- Cardiovascular problems such as aortic valve problem
Symptoms of STD Gonorrhea
The symptoms of STD Gonorrhea will be visible within 2-10 days after exposure to the bacteria. In some people the following symptoms will appear only after months.
- Burning sensation or pain while urination
- Discharge with traces of blood from penis or vagina
- Abnormal bleeding during menstruation
- Swelling and pain in the testicles
- Painful bowel movements
- Itching in anal area
Symptoms of STD Trichomoniasis
The symptoms of the infection by the parasite Trichomonas varies from mild irritation to serious inflammation. The important symptoms are
- Vaginal irritation and itching
- Vaginal discharge which may be clear, white, yellowish or greenish in color
- Strong odor of vagina
- Pain while urination
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Irritation and itching of penis
Symptoms of STD Hepatitis
This STD damages the liver function and cause inflammation of the liver. The symptoms include
- Fever, nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain and discomfort on the right side below the ribs
- Dark colored urine
- Yellow coloration of the skin and white of the eyes.
Symptoms of STD Genital Warts
The symptoms of this most common STD include
- Gray or flesh- colored swellings in genital area
- Itching in the genital area
- Cauliflower shaped warts near the genital area
- Bleeding during intercourse
Symptoms of STD herpes
Most people with herpes do not experience any signs or symptoms. If preset, the symptoms include
- Red colored blisters or ulcers in the genital and anal areas
- Pain or itching in the genital area, buttocks, inner thigh area
Symptoms of STD HIV
This is a life threatening STD. The early signs and symptoms of STD HIV includes
- Sore throat
- Swollen lymph glands
The chronic symptoms are
- Persistent fatigue
- Night sweats
- Swelling of lymph nodes, which lasts for more than 3 months
- High fever and chills for several weeks
- Chronic diarrhea
- Unusual infections
It is necessary to get timely treatment for these sexually transmitted diseases. So, if you have any of the symptoms of STD or if you suspect exposure to any STDs see your doctor immediately and get screened.
Note: This Page was last updated on Wednesday 26th of June 2019